I am really enjoying my time here. Everything is still new but not as new, so I feel a little more capable. I think I've already said this, but the range of people with varying diagnoses here is staggering. It's an honor to work with the men and women across the hospital who keep this important work going.
As far as caseload goes, and things I'm seeing, this afternoon I watched a ventricular shunt being put in to someone's hydrocephalic brain and literally turned around and did range of motion exercises on a Four month old little guy who had been having episodes of sleep apnea and becoming anoxic. I said goodbye to a woman I've known since I got here (so for the last two weeks) and have treated every weekday. I'm so happy she will be able to go home and it looks like she'll have full use of her hand. I worked with an 11-year-old who is recovering from Guillan-Barre syndrome, it seems to be improving rapidly now which is terrific. I worked with three different men recovering from varying hand surgeries. I blew up a few balloons, passed out a few stickers (thanks, Martha!) and entertained a few children with pictures and videos of the wild animals.
This afternoon, for the 835th time I was bounced off the hospitals' system while I was trying to type up my notes so I took a wonderful quick nap and met up with some folks who were going on a hike in the drizzle. It was slippery and muddy going but the group was fun and it felt great to really move.
I had forgotten to turn on the hot water heater so while Emily braved the cold shower, I think I'll wait until tomorrow. Had a great dinner, and as always, stimulating and entertaining conversation in the dining room ranging from families to mission work to hospital stories. I'm now settling in with the White's kitten who Is extremely playful and looking for a company.
I've seen so much in the short time here from the talented men and women who work here and the families and individuals who have come through the doors seeking medical help.
I really do hope I come back. I'd love to be able to find ways to bring rehab supplies here and continue using my rudimentary Swahili.
Fantastic! I'm sure you'll become a regular Tenweker! Your work/time there sounds reciprocally appreciated. So happy for you to have this experience!
ReplyDelete